Otherworld-Reborn
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Etiquette

5 posters

Go down

Etiquette Empty Etiquette

Post by Howee Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:03 pm

Ahoys!

Yer friendly Howee here. I was asked a question the other day that made me think (yes it hurt a wee bit), so I thought I'd post the question and my reply here.

The question - "Is it ok to plank a pirate if they don't team in fray?" My response was pretty simple - no. Planking a jobber is always a last resort.

If someone isn't teaming, it could be as easy as no one has ever explained to them how to team and why teaming is effective. They may not appear "green", but that doesn't mean that they know everything about the game.

In this case, if I were aboard the first thing I'd do is ask if they know what teaming is. If they answer that they don't, I'd explain it. (It takes a little bit of typing, but not so much that anyone should NOT explain.) Marmy has it copied somewhere - I don't know if it's a hotkey or just something in the Marmy Files. I've seen her post "How to Team" in 2-3 short posts. That usually fixes the problem. If they say that they know how, ask them to team. If they still don't team but are doing well in all other areas AND the bots that they're on in fray are dying, they're being effective and while I'd prefer that they team, I wouldn't plank them. I was discussing this with another SO in the flag and their comment was, "Heck, maybe they're a great swordfighter and can insta-kill!"

Everyone knows that I'm not a plank-er. I really don't like planking people, in the majority of cases it's the epitome of rudeness and control. I've been on ships when someone was planked because they got bootched, on ONE duty report. We've all bootched - blame it on the kids, the cats, the TV....it happens. A single booch is not a plank-able offense.

Having said that, I have seen when planking is a viable option and I've even waxed the plank myself. Plank-able offenses (in no particular order)
Refusing to station - ask the jobber to take a station. If they hop on and off stations with the majority of their time off station, or if they simply refuse to station can result in planking.
Straight lining in battle - one straight line could be a mistake; again - the kids, the cats, the TV, laundry......"real life" can pull someone away from the computer long enough for a fray to start and the puzzle to straight line. Usually when this happens the straight-liner will apologize or say what happened. If they don't explain, ask them. If it's a pattern, give a warning and if it happens again, pull out the plank.
Bootching on station - pretty much the same as above. Usually a bootch means the pirate is away from the computer OR not puzzling at all. If every duty report shows "bootched", usually the plank happens. This is for bootched, not poor. Personally I'm not going to plank someone for poor. I've had nights where I can barely squeak out a "fine", especially on stations that are challenging for me.
Overall general tartishness - sometimes a jobber hops on that talks a lot (no Howee in particular), but some of them are rude, crude, socially unattractive and mean. I'll ask them to stop, and like other situations, I usually give them a couple of chances but I'll plank for this before planking for the other reasons.

These are the guidelines I expect the Owls to follow. I can't (and don't) say anything for other crews in the flag but I WILL say that we're known as a friendly and fair flag. We had a mate who was plank-happy in our flag a year or so back, and the Royals were constantly being approached about them and their behaviour. They eventually left the flag, and since then we haven't had the feedback from others in the game. I like it this way. yea
Howee
Howee
Monarch

Back to top Go down

Etiquette Empty Re: Etiquette

Post by Waterspout Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:22 pm

These are pretty much the only reason I will plank folks also. I don't think there are official guidelines for the Mad Mutineers other than using common sense when planking.
Waterspout
Waterspout
Bucanneer
Bucanneer

Back to top Go down

Post by Vari Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:58 am

I see specific planking guidelines as a crew issue, and I see those guidelines being much different from Howee's as being an indication that a crew doesn't belong in Otherworld. We're not a plank happy flag. It's telling to me that Spout would say both that MM doesn't have guidelines other than use common sense and that he doesn't have anything real to add or subtract from Howee's post. yea
Vari
Vari
Pirate
Pirate

Location : The Gulf of Maine ('twixt Cape Cod an' the Bay o' Fundy)

http://danabaguley.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Silverstache Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:28 am

Howee's plank reasons are right on, and I would also reinforce that planking is only something you do when talking fails.

On teaming. Good teaming is helpful but some experienced sword fighters can do more damage by working alone.
Also the interface doesn't update very fast. Many people (myself included) will stay on a bot and then switch to a bot just before we make a break. The only thing that matters is that you are on the right bot when you make a break.

Now this doesn't mean you should give everyone a free pass, but recognize that the interface may not update people very fast.
Silverstache
Silverstache
Bucanneer
Bucanneer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pacres Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:02 pm

If I'm against bots and their ship has taken some damage, I like to solo since I can usually take them out fairly quickly.
Pacres
Pacres
Lubber
Lubber

Back to top Go down

Post by Howee Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:11 pm

Plank guidelines are for both the flag and individual crews, however the two need to be fairly closely aligned or, as Vari indicated, possibly the crew doesn't belong in Otherworld.

The reason I posted was that I have been asked by more than one player, from more than one crew so some clarification seemed needed.
Howee
Howee
Monarch

Back to top Go down

Post by Vari Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:33 pm

Come to think of it, the majority of my /plank's in my career probably look more like this:

[22:46:54] Ye accepted the offer to job with 'Stop'.
[22:46:58] Ye have been invited to join 'Stop' as a full member.
[22:46:58] Nigh has been invited to join 'Stop' as a full member.
[22:47:05] Ye are now ranked Cabin Person in yer crew.
[22:47:05] Ye accepted the invitation to join 'Stop'.
[22:47:11] Avast! I can't find a way to walk there.
[22:47:14] Ye are now ranked Fleet Officer in yer crew.
[22:47:25] Ye have received 8 doubloons from Shadymermady.
[22:47:31] Shadymermady says, "get an O badge"
[22:47:37] Yer Magnate reputation is now Obscure!
[22:48:01] Nigh forced Shadymermady to walk the plank.
[22:48:02] Shadymermady has left the vessel.

Last edited by Vari on Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:42 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : a few earlier log lines for more fun context)
Vari
Vari
Pirate
Pirate

Back to top Go down

Post by Silverstache Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:37 am

Are doubloon oceans really like that?

I've played on them a few times for tournaments but would never have believed that conversation.
Silverstache
Silverstache
Bucanneer
Bucanneer

Back to top Go down

Post by Vari Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:48 am

Shaydi dragged me to Meridian to help as jobbing contact, and paying the badge cost less than half the dubs to launch a sloop. Not a big deal to someone about to sink more war frigs than we could hope to man on Cerulean.

Last edited by Vari on Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:52 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : clarity)
Vari
Vari
Pirate
Pirate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum